Now is the time to start thinking of summer!!!!
Summer is for internships. If you want to go to grad school, you need research experience. If you’re not currently in a faculty lab, you can get this experience through an internship. If you want a job when you graduate, you need a summer internship to give you the experience and network connections to make you more competitive.
However, if you wait until Spring to apply for internships, you’ll be out of luck. Now is the time to start looking, and we’re happy to forward the following emails about internships at NASA and Covance. These are paid internships, so you definitely want to take advantage of the opportunity to apply!
Please use the links and the contact information in the forwarded emails.
From: Susie Valaitis [mailto:email@example.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:17 PM
Once again, we are enlisting your help in getting information from the NSF and NASA to your students who may be considering undergrad summer research and/or applying to graduate school. Please forward this email as appropriate.
Here are links to specific portals for your students:
Paid Summer 2012 Undergrad Research Placements:
More than 650 programs – REU and other summer research opportunities for undergrads at more than 350 institutions nationwide.
Bridge to the Doctorate, IGERT, NSF Grad Research Fellowship and other programs provide generous stipend and tuition support for students through the National Science Foundation.
Finally, here is a link to a flyer (pdf) which can be printed to post if you so choose.
If you find any errors in the listing of your programs (or others) please let us know!
We’d be happy to answer any questions you have and to provide your students with assistance in applying to these programs.
Thanks and best wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving,
Senior Associate Director
Institute for Broadening Participation
From: Draeger, Laurel [mailto:Laurel.Draeger@covance.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:20 AM
Subject: Covance 2012 Summer Internship Program!
I am very excited to announce that Covance will once again be hosting interns during the summer of 2012! This is a 12 week, paid internship and additional details can be found below.
Also, we have recently updated our website’s internship section to include podcasts and quotes from past Covance interns. I would encourage you take 10 minutes and listen to what they thought about their experience with us. The 2012 internship positions are posted on our website and we are now accepting resumes, so please share with all students who might be a good fit for the Covance Internship Program!
2012 opportunities include positions at our:
- Greenfield, IN facility in the areas of life science, medical technology, environmental health and safety, information technology and nutritional chemistry, biochemistry and food science
- Madison, WI facility in the areas of nursing, food science, biochemistry, chemistry, nutritional chemistry, environmental health and safety – ergonomics, information technology, human resources – recruitment
- Battle Creek, MI facility in the areas of food science, biochemistry, chemistry and nutritional chemistry
- Princeton, NJ facility in the areas of environmental health and safety, finance and communications
- Seattle, WA facility in the areas of genomics and project management
Additional programs details:
- Each intern is required to complete a project during the summer, as assigned by their supervisor and mentor, which is valuable to Covance and meaningful to their education.
- Project and daily work will be shared with senior leadership during presentation in August.
- Each intern is required to dedicate 8 hours towards a community service/volunteer project.
- Interns will be exposed to a number of executives, scientists, and educational and work related seminars/workshops during the summer program.
I am looking forward to reviewing many great student resumes!
Laurel Draeger, CIR
Office Phone: 608-395-3740