Registration for the Fall semester happens in April! Biology majors are not required to see an advisor prior to registering (exception: students on probation). However, we highly encourage students to make an appointment prior to registering. We still do NOT have walk-in hours, if you have a quick question please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In this Email:
Making an advising appointment
When to schedule
Current biology advisors
Preparing to Register
Check for holds
Know your registration date
How to check your AAR
MAKING ADVISING APPOINTMENTS
During this time, we reserve specific advising appointment dates for students based on their class standing. Class standing is determined by total credit hours taken by May 2013.
Read this carefully so you know when to schedule.
March 25–28: Seniors (86+ credit hours completed by May) and all student athletes (please indicate you’re an athlete when making an appointment)
March 29–April 8: Juniors-Seniors (56+ credit hours completed by May)
April 9 – 16: Sophomores-Juniors-Seniors (26+ credit hours completed by May)
April 17 and after: All students, including Freshmen and nonmajors
Students who enroll before their priority week will have their appointments canceled. (If you are unsure how many credits you have completed by May, check your OneStart advisement report.)
All appointments MUST be scheduled via Starnet’s online schedule appointment system:
You CANNOT schedule an appointment by calling our office or walking in to schedule an appointment.
The names of the Biology advisors taking appointments are:
Anna Bednarski (abednars)
Carolyn Estell (cmunk)
Mary Ann Miller (mamiller)
Remember that we do not assign students to a specific advisor, so you should feel free to choose the advisor whose schedule best works for you. If all advisors are booked until your registration date, make sure to register for your courses on time, then see an advisor as soon as possible.
Prepare to Register
– Check your list of “holds” in OneStart. You can click on each of them for more details. If there are any barriers that will keep you from registering, clear those up now!
– Make an appointment with an advisor, if you need one. Instructions are above.
END OF THE WEEK:
– Check your registration date in OneStart. Summer registration dates are displayed now; Fall dates will display at the end of this week.
– Check your Academic Advisement Report (AAR) in OneStart:
- Student Center > My Academics and Grades > Advising box (first one on left) > View My Advisement Report
– To see which courses you need, use your AAR to fill out a degree checksheet. Degree checksheets are here: https://hoosierbiology.wordpress.com/
PRIOR TO REGISTRATION: choose classes, and fill your OneStart shopping cart!
– Full schedule of classes: http://registrar.indiana.edu/time_sensitive/scheofclass4138.shtml
– Biology lectures and labs: The full list is on the BioBlog: https://hoosierbiology.wordpress.com/
– Biology Course Descriptions: http://www.iu.edu/~bulletin/iub/college/2012-2013/departments/biology/courses.shtml
– Intensive Writing: http://registrar.indiana.edu/specialcourse.shtml
Or, if you’re looking for College of Arts and Sciences courses that fulfill more than one requirement, try using this handy online tool from the College of Arts and Sciences:
– General Education: PLEASE NOTE – “GENERAL EDUCATION” is for students who started at IU in Summer 2011 or after! If you started at IU prior to last summer, do NOT use these lists!
– A&H: http://gened.iub.edu/courses/art_humanitiescourses.html (see note above!)
– S&H: http://gened.iub.edu/courses/social_historicalcourses.html (see note above!)
– World Culture courses: http://gened.iub.edu/courses/worldculturescourses.html (see note above!)
Questions? For quick questions, email email@example.com