Summer at Michigan for Undergraduate Research Training
10 weeks: June 1 – August 7, 2015
Application Deadline: January 16, 2015
Are you an undergraduate who might be interested in a physician-scientist career path?
The UM-SMART program can offer both biomedical research experience and exposure to clinical medicine at the highly ranked University of Michigan Health System. Participating in UM-SMART may help you decide if this is the right career for you and could enhance your competitiveness when applying to M.D./Ph.D. programs.
YOU CAN EXPECT TO:
• Perform full-time research in a U-M faculty laboratory.
• Attend weekly luncheon research presentations by U-M faculty.
• Give short presentations of summer accomplishments at the conclusion of the program.
• Gain clinical exposure by shadowing U-M physicians.
• Attend three-day annual MSTP retreat on Higgins Lake.
• Prepare for the MCAT with formal instruction over an eight-week period during the program.
To be eligible for UM-SMART, applicants must come from an educational, cultural or geographic background that is underrepresented in the sciences OR have experienced financial hardship as a result of family economic circumstances OR have a physical or mental disability that substantially limits one or more major life activities. Consideration will be given to applicants who meet multiple criteria. For additional criteria, see our web site.
A stipend of $4,400 and university housing will be provided. The program will cover transportation costs to and from
Ann Arbor, up to $200. Students are responsible for providing their own meals throughout the program.
Apply Today: medicine.umich.edu/mstp
UM-SMART is offered by the University of Michigan Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP)