SENIORS: Consider becoming a licensed public-school science teacher!

Do you love working with young people? Do you enjoy helping classmates with homework or studying? Consider a career as a licensed public-school science teacher.

Graduate-level programs at the IUB School of Education can prepare you to gain licensure, and it’s not too late to apply! Here are details on 3 programs you could consider:

Secondary Transition to Teaching is a residential program here on IUB campus.


The deadline for applying to the Secondary Transition to Teaching for 2016-2017 academic year is March 1, 2016. Faculty will begin reviewing applications in March and will admit students until the cohort is full. Classes begin mid-June and run eleven months, culminating in a student teaching experience that makes a student eligible for an initial license in the State of Indiana. There is high need for Mathematics and for science subjects such as Biology, Chemistry, Geology for Earth/Space Science, and Physics.


Community of Teachers is available in a residential and on-line format. In addition to the above subject areas, graduate certification in special education is an option with no previous coursework in special education.


Students planning to begin  coursework in the Community of Teachers Graduate Certification in summer or fall 2016 should submit complete applications by March 1, 2016.


College of Arts and Sciences Masters of  Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) students who need to complete a certification program before obtaining their degrees should also begin the application process soon.


All students interested in any of these programs should schedule an appointment with Education advisor Karen Franks soon to discuss the application process and program requirements. Students may schedule appointments by calling  812-856-8500 or stop by to schedule an appointment in person in School of Education Suite 1000.


The minimum acceptable undergraduate grade point average (GPA) varies from program to program. All graduate degree programs require a GPA of 2.75 or higher (on a 4.00 scale) in all undergraduate course work. Some graduate programs require an undergraduate GPA of 3.00 or higher in the last 60 credit hours. Other programs require a GPA of 3.00 in all undergraduate course work. All licensure programs require a GPA of 2.5 or higher. Exceptions are made when undergraduate course work is judged to have been especially rigorous, and when other application credentials are very strong.