The IUB College of Arts and Sciences is seeking applications from qualified math and science students for Fall 2016 and Academic Year 2016-2017 exchanges at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) School of Science. Instruction is in English!
- Students must be pursuing a College degree in math or science. (If they are pursuing another major or degree as well, they should know that this exchange is primarily for them to make progress towards the math/science degree.)
- Students must have completed a minimum of 1 year at IU prior to enrolling at HKUST
- Students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or above
- The College requires students to complete an essay and provide two letters of recommendation
Student application materials must be received by 5:00 PM, Monday, February 22, 2016. Applications will be reviewed by The College and then nominated to HKUST by February 29. Nominated students will be instructed to complete an online application through HKUST by March 31.
Students interested in the program should do the following:
- Carefully read this message, the message below, the attachments, and the websites referenced throughout. Students should NOT contact HKUST directly until after they are nominated by The College.
- Arrange for two (2) letters of recommendation from professors or others who can speak to their academic qualifications. The letters should also reference any other qualities or information regarding the student’s preparedness and interest in the HKUST program. Recommendation letters should be sent directly from the recommender to Jennifer Ashcraft, firstname.lastname@example.org, by 5:00 PM, Monday, February 22, 2016.
- Write an essay (no more than 2 pages) explaining why they would like to take part in the exchange at HKUST. The essay should include information about their academic studies (thus far at IU and what they plan to study at HKUST), and more generally why they would like to study in Hong Kong (such as any interest in the language, culture, or other opportunities there). The student should send the essay by email attachment to Jennifer Ashcraft, email@example.com, by 5:00pm, Monday, February 22, 2016.
Additional information about HKUST can be found below, and in the attachments and links. Basic program information is also included in the Overseas Study Big List in iAbroad (go to http://overseas.iu.edu/programs/iuprograms/index.shtml and click the link for The Big List on the right-hand side).
Students who are nominated will be instructed to consult with the Office of Overseas Study and their departmental Academic Advisor to make further program arrangements. There are several IU students who have participated in the exchange, and I can put prospective students in contact with them, if requested. I will do my best to answer any questions as well.
We look forward to receiving your applications!
Senior Academic Advisor
School of Global & International Studies
College of Arts & Sciences
Indiana University – Bloomington
GA 1043 / 812-855-4538
Greetings from the School of Science, HKUST!
I am pleased to update you that application for our International Exchange Program of Fall 2016 or Academic Year 2016-17 will soon be open on 1 February 2016, Monday. Please note that a brand-new university-wide online application platform will be in place.
- We will import the student data onto the system once we receive your nominations. Applicants will receive a system-generated email which provides them with direct link to the system for creating their own accounts.
- Students are required to create a profile by providing personal details such as Date of Birth, Emergency Contact, Residency and etc. before working on the exchange application.
- The whole application should be completed in English with the following documents to be submitted:
- Official academic transcript (with English translation if necessary)
- Photocopy of the photo page of the national passport
- Photocopy of Hong Kong ID Card (if any)
- As part of the online form, students are required to state the courses they plan to take during their exchange in HKUST; students are instructed to refer to our Course Catalog at http://publish.ust.hk/prog_crs/index.html for course details. You may also suggest students checking out the courses offered in the Academic Year 2015-16 at https://w5.ab.ust.hk/wcq/cgi-bin/1510/ for reference.
- Students are also reminded to be flexible in adjusting their study plan as enrollment into classes is subject to constraints such as class quota, requisite requirements, instructors’ consent and etc.
- The application is completely done online; originals or soft copies via emails are NOT needed
- Application Deadline: 31 March 2016, Thursday
For your information & reference, attached please also find:
You may also refer to our website at http://advise.science.ust.hk/sfs/exchange/incoming/application-procedures