We are a group of students with a mission to educate, fundraise, and volunteer with the Indiana Canine Assistant Network (ICAN). ICAN focuses not only on the service dogs in the program but on the individuals involved in this process. We’re looking for people who would be interested in joining! If you are interested, please send your name and IU email address to ICANatIU@gmail.com
- About ICAN: ICAN is a 501(c)3 non-profit organizations founded in 2001 that utilizes multiple prisons in the state of Indiana to train service dogs. These service dogs are then carefully placed with a disabled individual, ensuring their personality types and needs match up.
- General Member : We are looking for students or members of the Bloomington community interested in attending monthly meetings and fund-raising events. The goal of these members is to spread awareness on campus about service dogs and plan events that could help raise money for ICAN.
- Furlough : We are looking for students or members of the Bloomington community to commit to hosting a service-dog-in-training for a three week period three times over the course of the school year. Each dog will have two human companions who will split up the responsibility according to their own schedules. Please note this is still a large time commitment, and it will be necessary for you to attend additional meetings and complete extensive training before handling these animals.
- Executive Board: Ashton Asbury and Julie Mathias will be serving as ICAN at IU’s Presidents for the 2017-2018 school year. We are looking for students to hold the role of Secretary, Treasurer, or a general executive member. If this interests you, please contact us: ICANatIU@gmail.com.
- Questions? : Please do not hesitate to reach out to Ashton or Julie via ICAN’s email address to ask any questions you may have!
-Julie Mathias and Ashton Asbury
Indiana Canine Assistant Network (ICAN) at Indiana University Co-Presidents